Friday, December 21, 2007

Banana cream rock and a pink vw van

Lazy days start to come to an end. I celebrated an excellent vacation by returning to my favourite spot, and had some fabulous drinks at the great pink volkswagen van, chatted with "Jack", her daughter and the guys. I will miss them! And I will come back to see them another time. Their banana or chocolate cream rock is to die for, not to mention the daiquiries.



From holiday sun fun to more serious stuff. I got interested in the local habits and culture the moment I got here. And especially the girls. What do those gogo girls think and feel as they're doing their job? I wanted to know more, get into the whole thing. So I bought a book, My name is Lon - you like me? by Derek Sharron.

The back cover states "

From the age of 14, "My Name Lon... You Like Me?" was my greeting to over 1,000 sex tourists. My impoverished culture and my mother were the impetus for the sale of my dignity, but my actions saved my sister from the same fate."

The book tells the story of a girl who left home at the age of 13 to earn money for her family. It also lightens the culture of the Thai people, the way of thinking, the way of life. I am very happy about my purchase.

I am very happy about another thing as well: Tomorrow, being my last day in Thailand, I managed to get an "OK" for visiting the local orphanage. That will be interesting. And it will also give me the possibility to get myself into the Christmas spirit, as well as hopefully doing some good for the kids.

No comments: