Tuesday, December 18, 2007

And good things will come to you

"We cannot know what life will bring us" said Mickey. "We can only try to do good things, and good things will come back to us." "Some people do bad things", he continued, "take too much money from tourists, have them pay a too high price for what they buy. I don't do that, because bad things will come to those who do".

It was easy for me to agree with Mickey. It was also my philosophy of life. "Yes", I said. "We can only do our best and hope for a good life in return." Mickey nodded and smiled.

I wanted to take a picture of him. To remember our half hour in the shade of the palm tree. I didn't want to forget this smiling man and our discussions about life. Mickey got nervous when I asked him. Was his face shiny? Was his cap straight? He gave the face a stroke with the back of his hand and straightened the cap. He turned back at me and gave me a big smile. "I'm ready."

No comments: