Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Make the call

I ran into an old acquaintance at the airport today. We talked for a while, both waiting for our flights, and the subject was calling someone we hadn't talked to for a while. I encouraged the other one to call a person he hadn't heard anything from since the person's divorce and move across a sea. "You should call him", I said. "He is probably wondering, why you haven't called for a while, even with the divorce and the move going on". "I've been waiting for him to call me", the answer was. "I've been thinking he doesn't want to be disturbed, with all the things going on."

I was the one "giving the other one advice" - knowing I've been postponing two calls myself for days, even weeks. It's not that I don't want to talk to these people - I really do. It's a question of waiting for some certain mood, certain feeling hitting you, so that you feel "in the right vibe" to call the other one. And days pass before turning into weeks.

I remember waiting for that special mood before calling someone I love. I waited for days, trying to get rid of that anxious feeling, get rid of that stress that I thought would spoil the whole phone call. I wanted to be at my best, I wanted to sound relaxed and happy. But that never happend. So I finally thought - what the hell - he will just have to cope with my anxiousness and stress. So I made the call. And the minute I heard that person's voice in the other end a total feeling of relaxation came over me. Why didn't I think of that before?

The message of today is:

Make that call.

Let people know that you're thinking of them. Let people you care about know what you think. Tell people when they affect you. Tell people when you are touched by something they do or say. Tell people when you love them. Tell people when you need their love. Tell people you care about when they hurt you and ask them if you hurt them. Otherwise time will pass and waters will run.

Because after all. Tomorrow might never come. For one or the other.


Offer people help when you are able to give. Ask for forgiveness when needed and be ready to offer other people yours as well.

"If we haven’t forgiven, we keep creating an identity around our pain, and that is what is reborn. That is what suffers."

(Preparing for Death. The Final Days of Death Row Inmate Jaturun "Jay" Siripongs)

Today I talked to my boss. He said "You know I am more than happy about your work. I try to let you know as often as possible." I knew that already, he tells me all the time. Of course it makes me happy, but on the other hand it is for me key - to do my best what ever I do. I am happy, though, that my contribution is appreciated. Before ending the conversation, he asked me if I had something on my mind. Endeed I did. I told him "You know you are the best boss one can get? I am truely pleased with your leadership." My boss smiled and thanked me, he was happy I thought so. I was happy I told him - even though he knew already.

So there we had it: two people telling each other - what both already knew - but still being able to come each other yet a bit closer.


I just love penguins.


No comments: