Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Quotes and thoughts

I like quotes. For me a good quote is a short piece of text that is easy to remember and that makes you think, laugh, feel - react in some way, and that you want to share with others. Today I found this thought in the blog of Paulo Coelho:
Don’t allow your wounds to turn you into a person you are not.
I look back just a few years and I can see how I for some time let my wounds turn me into something I was not. I see it happening in people around me, in friends, loved ones. We sometimes seem afraid of life itself. Afraid of tomorrow and the day after that. Being afraid we close the curtains and choose not to look out the window. We will keep ourselves safe by doing so, but we will also keep away the light.

So yes, it is a good quote. There are a few other quotes that I really do like. One (actually quite a few) that I have borrowed a few times to use in this blog is by Mahatma Gandhi who said:
Be the change you want to see in the world.
It does make me think 'Yes. Yes we can.' Oops, that was another quote. Another beautiful quote by the same man:
A living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm.
Winston Churchill was a wise man:
It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.
They don't need to be that serious, though.

Please send me your last pair of shoes, worn out with dancing as you mentioned in your letter, so that I might have something to press against my heart.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Francesco Petrarca:
Her way of moving was no mortal thing
but of angelic form: and her speech
rang higher than a mere human voice.

A celestial spirit, a living sun
was what I saw...
Oscar Wilde:
She wore far too much rouge last night and not quite enough clothes.
That is always a sign of despair in a woman.
Oh yes, I'm almost there myself, judging by the rouge.
Have a good thought and a good night.

No comments: