Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Poem of the night

Like fire they were burning
As I closed my eyes
No to keep them dry
But to hold on to those tears
For in them was all of what I used to be

My hopes
My dreams
My losses
My fears
My triumphs
My failures

All of what I'd given
All of what I'd gained
All of what I'd suffered
All of what I'd claimed

Letting them go
I could not do
As it felt too early
To be separated
From --

From my history
From my past
From all of those grains of sand
that traced the path

Of all of my steps as well as those of them before.

We all knew we were something more
That those traces were only reflecting
Mere shadows of what used to be

By letting go of all of what we thought to be
By opening up for new worlds to see
By untying the grip of what made us before
By understanding that letting go would give us more

I opened my eyes
- Not to see
But to let go of the tears burning
From the memories of all that used to be me.

As the tear watered my cheek I was free.

No comments: