Saturday, February 9, 2008

The beauty of life

It is interesting how life often surprises you. And now I don't mean the big things, but the small ones that occur every now and then, often in a way that we don't even think about them.

I was going by bike through a truely dark and slippery city just some minutes ago. It was really not the kind of surface you would like to be bicycling on - ice with water on top. But I did. In the darkness of the moist evening I noticed a figure going from the left to the right, from the right to the left. My luck, I thought, a drunk that probably will hit into me while trying to get forward.

I hit the brakes to slow down my pace, not to startle the obscure figure while passing by. And as I am overtaking him in the darkness, with one eye fixed on the slippery street and the other one on the drunk, I notice the man stopping. He turns around to look at me. Great, I think. Let's hear you say something.

And he does. The voice gives away the same thing as did the posture and the way of wiggling. The man is totally drunk. And the voice turns into some words that bring a broad smile to my face:

"Be careful now! Don't fall!"


I smile and yell back: "I'll try not to!".
And that is what I call a piece of the beauty of life.

No comments: