Monday, February 18, 2008

The Bastard of Istanbul

I am always reading several books at a time. One of those I'm reading at the moment is Elif Shafak's "The Bastard of Istanbul". Since I got it on my trip to Rome, I'm reading it in Italian. Didn't know it first was published in English. I always think you should read books in their original language - when possible. Translations change texts - no matter how good they are. Take it from the translator.

This book, though, would be excellent in any language. I didn't know that Elif Shafak - just like Orhan Pamuk and several other authors - was charged for "insulting Turkishness" in 2006 for remarks made by a fictional character in The Bastard of Istanbul. Shafak was acquitted three months later.

"It is perhaps the first Turkish novel to deal directly with the massacres, atrocities and deportations that decimated the country's Armenian population in the last years of Ottoman rule." [guardian.co.uk, 24 July 2006]

The book is beautifully written, and I enjoy more than anything the poetic nuance. (Anyone who has read my entries would know I would.)

There is one passage I read over and over. Because the beauty to it is stunning. I tried to find it in English, but failed, so anyone who has the book in its original language can read the first lines of chapter eleven. These lines are in Italian, and if you can comprehend them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I have and am.

"[...]
È quasi l'alba a Istanbul. La città è appena da un passo da quella
soglia misteriosa che separa la notte dal giorno. È l'unico momento in cui è
ancora possibile trovare conforto nei sogni ma troppo tardi per costruirne di
nuovi. Se ci fosse un occhio nel settimo cielo, uno Sguardo Celeste che
dall'alto osserva ognuno di noi, allora dovrebbe sorvegliare Istanbul a lungo,
prima di risucire a comprendere chi fa cosa dietro le porte chiuse, e chi, se
c'è, ha detto cose profane. A Colui che sta nel cielo la città deve
apparire come uno schema sfavillante, cosparso di bagliori che luccicano come
fuochi d'artificio nel buio fitto. In questo istante lo scheletro urbano
risplende nei toni dell'arancio, del rossiccio e dell'ocra. È una costellazione
di scintille, e ogni punto luminoso è la luce di qualcuno che ha già lasciato il
reame del sonno. Dall'alto dei cieli, allo Sguardo Celeste, tutte quelle
minuscole luci devono sembrare in perfetta armonia, constantemente
ammiccanti come se inviassero messaggi in codice a Dio."

[La Bastarda di Istanbul/RCS Libri S.p.A. Milano/translation by Laura Prandino]


No comments: