Friday, May 29, 2009

New York by taste

I need to spend some words on the eating in New York. To keep it simple; I'll give you my favourite breakfast, lunch and dinner spots.

Let's start with breakfast:
With this one, it's not the food, it's the location.

Bryant Park
I guess my muffin and my coffee tasted even better out in the sun. The warmth of a lovely morning had everything to do with the magic that tasted like a piece of heaven, shaped like a paper cup of cappuccino and a blueberry muffin. (I love muffins!) The people relaxing around me and the awaiting day beneath a blue sky gave this breakfast a silver lining. I will do that again when In New York the next time!



Secondly; lunch:
This location was fabulous, but so was the food as well. A lot of points for atmosphere.

Pastis (Meatpacking District)
This place had to be good. It's well mentioned in both city guides and by critics. And it was. I had a green salad with goat cheese for 10$. Simple yet perfect. Excellent vibes created by the staff, the marvelous space, the crowdedness, the ceiling fans, the clock on the wall, the life of a Sunday Lunch. All though quite French, I tasted a piece of Cuba, a piece of Casablanca in there, as well. Well, it might have been the heat and the sweat running down my neck. It was a hot day. Anyhow, I strongly recommend to try this ten year old.
www.pastisny.com



Thirdly, it's time for dinner:
I had to make a choice here, going with yet another French one or to be seduced by the Cuban. My knees went weak, it was the Cuban, definitely.

Havana Central
Yes, I admit, it was the live band playing salsa that lured me. I couldn't resist. Suddenly I found myself inside, my hips were moving and my knees were bent. The salsa had me weak in no-time. A short stop at the bar, hips moving, arms up, and the table was ready. The buzzing vibe was one of the best experienced ever! I had to take it light, I was high on the salsa, so I went for the Ensalada de Cobbano for a cheap 12$. Don't be fooled by the salad, it was Cuban and a meal that could stand on its own two feet. Havana Central on 46th street definitely took the price and won by atmosphere. A good runner-up was the duck of Marseille on 44th.
www.havanacentral.com


Hungry? Me too.

No comments: