Saturday, September 27, 2008

Her way of moving

Good morning!
Isn't it great to start the morning with a perfect cappuccino? I can't think of many better things. This is my cappuccino of this morning, quite beautiful, don't you think?


I am sorry - again - for an absence that can not be defended in any way. It seems less important things in life, like work, have been taking a hold of me, keeping me from writing down my thoughts.

Well, I must admit, it has not only been work, but also the fact that I have spent many evenings doing what I love - dancing.
But now we have just what I need to make a return - a Saturday morning.

I love waking up to autumn. This is my new view.


Yesterday evening, after watching one of Yves Roberts's fantastic movies, La gloire de mon père (please also have a taste of the film that came afterwords, with the same people, Le château de ma mère), I started reading a book I got from a person I love. It's Salman Rushdie's "The Enchantress of Florence". Given the magic relationship I have with Florence, the choise of the book was quite obvious.

I have a love affair with the gift of knowing how to connect words to each other in a way that will turn an every day thing into magic, that will spread flakes of gold onto the grey world, and make it shimmer before our eyes.

I had not read even the first page of the book, when I ran into just that. It was a quote of Francesvo Petrarca, translated by A.S. Kline:

Her way of moving was no mortal thing
but of angelic form: and her speech
rang higher than a mere human voice.

A celestial spirit, a living sun
was what I saw...

Once again, with words put like that in front of me, I remain speechless, on my knees, spellbound.

I fell asleep after only the first chapter, but so far, I like what I've read, I like being pulled into the poetical world of words, where The Enchantress of Florence is taking me.

Read more about the book.

I believe we can never read too many books, we can never hear too much music, we can never dance too much and we can never spend too much time at the dinner table with people we love. So go ahead, people, make the best of it, spoil yourselves and those you love. Enjoy the autumn leaves and all of their colours.




No comments: