Thursday, October 11, 2007

Foul language and love songs

I have a problem. It concerns foul language and love songs. Especially a mixture of these two. I remember thinking "Why, oh why, James" when hearing James Blunt's You're beautiful.

Yes, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was,
Fucking high,
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last 'till the end.

And then there was the version with "flyin' high" instead. Better, if you ask me.

Why would anybody, on purpose, walk with white suede boots in the dirt?

Someone who does the same is one of my huge favourites, Damien Rice (his website is a work of art, like the album covers, have a look.). In a more mild way, though. That guy's suffering never seems to end, if you judge by the songs. So Damien, I forgive you for using a somewhat foul language in some of your songs.

One of the many songs that I love is from the album 9, Accidental babies.

Well I know I make you cry
And I know sometimes you wanna die
But do you really feel alive without me?
If so, be free
If not, leave him for me
Before one of us has accidental babies
For we are in love

Do you come
Together ever with him?
Is he dark enough?
Enough to see your light?
Do you brush your teeth before you kiss?
Do you miss my smell?
And is he bold enough to take you on?
Do you feel like you belong?
And does he drive you wild?
Or just mildly free?

What about me?
What about me?

How can anyone write lyrics like that? No filter i used, that's for sure. This is coming straight from every aching cell in that body.

Listen to some of Damien. Listen to Elephant.

No comments: