Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Luck favours the prepared

Apparently Louis Pasteur said "luck favours the prepared" and this quote got me and a friend reflecting on things one late night a few weeks ago.
We came up with a hypothetical theory of how to prepare luck to throw in a man in this single life.

As a single lady in her best years - at least that's the way we'd like to see things - one has to start making efforts. Until now I have more or less relied on life to in one of its twists and turns make me stumble upon that man with the capital M. Well, after being very single indeed for the last few years, it is time to realize something: It might not happen. And this is the backdrop to the theory. If my very social life isn't social enough to get myself to finding a better half, I'd better start doing something about it. Preparing the path for luck to make its move.

And it goes something like this (Did you just hear that said by the voice of Madonna? Yeah, me too!):
We probably need a few more ways of preparing luck than one, but let's start at the end. I don't expect luck to come in tomorrow with the first Man it could find, I am ready to allow it some time to find the best possible man for me. Let's say within a year or so. And what would I like to happen in a year or so? Well, it would be very nice to find myself on a romantic weekend in a romantic city. I always wanted to go to Vienna, but have for some reason never gotten there. So a romantic vacation in that beautiful city would really be nice. And not too much to ask for, I think, it could be doable.

So if I want to be spending a romantic weekend in Vienna in let's say May 2011, what do I need? A hotel room, for sure. I mean flights are difficult to prepare, not knowing from where one would be travelling, but a hotel room is something one can make reservations for without having to be filled in on any other information.

I could, in other words, make that reservation. For two, in a romantic getaway in Vienna, for a weekend in May 2011. That would be being quite prepared, right?

No comments: