Sunday, June 13, 2010

I feel joy by just looking at you, he said

I feel joy by just looking at you, he said
and seemed genuinely glad
He already imagined dance floors
Where we would have our twirl.
Let's have a chat,
I'm sad it's been so long
So we checked our calendars and agreed
to catch up as weekend dawned.

Next thing I know
I see him out in the rain.
Lifting a cigarette to his mouth,
letting the umbrella spin.
The rain hit hard on the streets
as I ran closer in four inch heels
I lifted my hand to greet him
as the car pulled in.
Oh, he said, it's my girlfriend
and pointed at the car
I was left baffled,
Too good we never got that far.

I already can hear my mother say
He had no clue what was good for him anyway
Twisting between exes and you
If you ask me, he'd never do.

I guess my mother would be right
I guess I'll have to forget about this night.
Turn to those who genuinely choose
To let go of the past and move on to what's new.

No comments: