Tuesday, April 6, 2010

3-step happiness

I remember those days when I had the chance to travel and meet people and get paid for it. That was often enough to make me happy. In my very stationery job of today I miss it even more than I thought I would. However, back then I had no chance to dance like I do now. I guess we all need to give some to get some.

Dancing is really one of the biggest joys of my life. I often say dancing makes me happier than any other thing ever could. Gone is the stress, the unease, the uncertainty of tomorrow. I breath in joy and breath out happiness. It's fulfillment.

With Easter in between I have spent a few days away from the dance floor, and in came the unease again. It was almost like opening a window and feeling the cold. This time around I have done my best to find a fix. It's called making a plan and I hope it will bring me a 3-step happiness.

Step 1: Making a plan
Why is it making plans makes us happy? I can't really tell when it comes to anyone else, but for me it's easy. It's about knowing a tiny bit of what the future will hold. My plan is all about a trip to one of the few places I truly love.

Step 2: Travelling
Yes, for me it always helps getting away. The further the better. It would be an easy nut to chew for any psychiatrist: I probably feel like leaving all my problems, all of my unease at home when going away. It makes me think though, maybe it would be better to take it with me and leave it somewhere far away from home? No wonder I always have all the drama waiting for me when I get back. And yes, this fix will include travelling.

Step 3: Being creative and/or enabling personal growth
It is my quick fix, not sure if it works for everybody. Being creative is what makes me feel free - almost as free as when dancing. Adding the possibility to learn, to grow, to evolve makes it even better for me. Some kind of course or activity that demands learning and practicing. That will make me come out of it like a new person in many ways. I will feel I am an improved version of myself and I will feel happy for having had the possibility to create something. Very therapeutic, and with some luck it will leave a mark on the curriculum as well. So that's definitely the activity planned and I cannot wait to finalize these 3 steps on my way to happiness.

Finalizing: 1. Write down and check the possibility - 2. Book the tickets - 3. Make the reservation.
Level of accomplishment: 1/3


No comments: